by John W. Loftus
As many of you know I've been preparing for my public debate with David Wood of "answeringinfidels.com" on the problem of evil, so I'm not posting much until afterwards. The question is this: "Does the extent of suffering in our world make the existence of God implausible?" The debate is not far away. It takes place on Saturday October 7th at 7 PM, in Norfolk VA, at the Old Dominion University, BAL 104. If you're in the area and can make it please do. The transcript (and video) will be available afterward with comments by Victor Reppert and probably Paul Copan on his side, and Andrea Weisberger and Richard Carrier on my side (plans still in progress).
I don't know of a major public debate that focused specifically on this problem by able defenders of each side for more than a decade (but I could be wrong). It may turn into a book too. A big thanks goes out to those who've made helpful comments on a draft of my opening statement. One person said of my opponent: "He's in trouble." Another said: "I have known for a good while that, among many other things, you are VERY well read on the problem of evil!" Still another: "it seems to cover all the bases." We'll see. I'll keep you posted both here and here.
Posts in this section were archived prior to February 2010. For more recent posts, go to the HOME PAGE.
- ► 2009 (335)
- ► 2008 (306)
- ► 2007 (407)
- Finding my way back to church -- and getting kicke...
- When Moderation is a Bad Idea
- Train up a child...
- My Debate on the Problem of Evil
- Amazing Grace
- Dear Mom
- A critical analysis of Kent Hovind's "Age of the E...
- Colbert Report on Evolution vs Creationism
- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
- Digital Freethought, Atheism #4
- An interview with Daniel Dennett
- Females, Gays, and Other Samaritans
- “Would Jesus Wear a Rolex™?”
- The Greatest Story Ever Told and Ignored
- The Logical Paradox of Creation Myths with Wendy D...
- Why Don't Christians Argue This Way Much Anymore?
- Death to the Infidel!
- Jesus Camp
- ▼ September (18)
- ► 2005 (102)
- ► 2004 (67)
- ► 2003 (108)