If you haven't seen this film already, rent, borrow or buy this movie as soon as you can. This is an absolute MUST SEE -- WM
Deliver Us from Evil (2006) is an Academy Award-nominated documentary film directed by Amy Berg which tells the true story of the pedophile Catholic priest Oliver O'Grady, who sexually abused potentially hundreds of children between the late 1970s and early 1990s. The film won the Best Documentary Award at the 2006 Los Angeles Film Festival. The title refers to a line in the Lord's Prayer, "Our Father."
The film chronicles O'Grady's years as a priest in Northern California, where he committed his crimes. After being convicted and serving seven years in prison, O'Grady was deported to Ireland, where Amy Berg interviewed him in 2005. O'Grady speaks candidly about his crimes. Additionally, the film presents trial documents, videotaped depositions, and interviews with activists, theologians, psychologists and lawyers which suggest that not only were Church officials aware of O'Grady's crimes, they actively took steps to conceal them.
The Irish Independent criticized Amy Berg for filming children in Ireland without their knowledge.
The film was very well received by critics, earning a rare 100% 'fresh' review from RottenTomatoes.com. As of April 6, 2007, the film ranks 3rd on Rotten Tomatoes' list of the best reviewed movies of all time.
To monitor comments posted to this topic, use .
Posts in this section were archived prior to February 2010. For more recent posts, go to the HOME PAGE.
- ► 2009 (335)
- ► 2008 (306)
- Bookstores have Noticed Atheists
- You think with God you've found peace?
- Atheist vs. Christian morality
- The real truth about the Roman Catholic Church
- Christians don't really think for themselves, desp...
- Over the Hedges
- Times-Harris Poll: 1/4th of Us Could Be Atheists o...
- Chess and the Problem of Evil
- Hell and the Narrow Road -- A Letter to Kara
- Finding a Way Forward
- Can a god exist?
- A Lack of Basic Understanding
- Life and Religion
- Life and rRligion
- Deliver us from evil
- Observations about Christianity
- You're bloody lucky to be alive
- If the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed
- Atheist finds god! (But it's not what you think)
- Conversation between an atheist and a theist
- TAMMY FAYE GETS EVEN
- Christian Crazy Thinking
- THE LORD'S PRAYER LAID BARE
- The Kingdom of God and Confronting Our Beliefs
- Supernatural or Explainable?
- Why I Believe Anti-Evangelism Is Wrong
- An Evolution-Related Challenge
- The Loftus v. Wood Debate on the Problem of Evil i...
- Atheist ‘Metaphysics’ and Religious Equivocation
- Boggles the Mind
- I'm an agnostic because I'm lazy
- How Can Pastors Believe?
- Christianity and Atheism: A Conversation
- Proof that god is nonexistant: a short version
- Public Atheism: A Question of Image or Discriminat...
- Is there free will in Christianity?
- How to Make the "Neo-Atheist Cabal" Move On
- ▼ July (37)
- ► 2006 (173)
- ► 2005 (102)
- ► 2004 (67)
- ► 2003 (108)