By Joe Musselwhite
I thought some of you might enjoy my "God in a box" experiment.
I've had fun with this for years. Here's how it works:
Go buy a small cardboard box around 2-3 inches square with a removable lid on it.
On top of the lid write: "Inside this box is God" and now you're set.
Take the box to one of your friends who believes in God and hand it to him and don't say anything. Wait for a response. 99% of the time they take the lid off and say there's nothing in here. Ah! Ah! Now you got them!
Once they make this claim, ask them how did they know that nothing was in the box. They will respond that they know nothing is in the box because they can't see anything. This is the whole point of the experiment. It demonstrates very well that humans rely heavily on one of their senses before they claim they know something verses believing something. It proves that people require objective evidence before they accept something as fact.
They don't even think about it until it's too late. It's not even a thought for them to claim nothings there. In a way it also demonstrates their lack of faith which requires no evidence at all.
You can really have fun with this experiment, just use your imagination.
Posts in this section were archived prior to February 2010. For more recent posts, go to the HOME PAGE.
- ► 2009 (335)
- ► 2008 (306)
- Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
- God, Lies and Faith
- Misquoting Jesus by Bart Ehrman
- Christian parents, beware!
- The New Atheists on Organized Freethought
- The Enemies of Reason
- Christian Soldiers: a report by Dan Rather
- 21 Unconvincing Arguments for God
- Brother Jeff in 2008!
- Scientific Arrogance?
- Here's What the Evangelical Christian Must Defend
- Reason: the best counselor
- Conversation with Ismael (a Muslim)
- Who Deserves Heaven as a Reward?
- Rightly Dividing The Word
- Obsession -- Radical Islam's War Against the West
- The Sacred Book of Kush
- A couple of comments on Pascal’s Wager and the Hel...
- Religion: Threat to Public Health?
- Many people use God as a temporary fix
- GOD IN A BOX
- Can a skeptic believe in God?
- The Violent Heritage of Christianty
- Breaking Up With Jesus
- The War on the "War on Christmas"
- Sam Harris' Problem with Atheism
- Freethought Week
- How to quit worrying about global warming and be h...
- Wisdom, comfort, and direction from the Word of Go...
- Flapjacks for Flo
- Atheists spread the word
- Is there "free will" in Christianity?
- Christianity: Out With The Old...
- Skeptic Bible Study: Pedophilia in the Bible
- Skeptic Bible Study: Jesus Never Existed
- FFRF Puts Up First-Ever Nontheistic Billboard!
- A House Divided
- Freethinking atheism leads to Communism?
- ▼ October (38)
- ► 2006 (173)
- ► 2005 (102)
- ► 2004 (67)
- ► 2003 (108)