Evangelical leader James Dobson said, yesterday, that Obama was "distorting the Bible" when he made the following statements in a speech:
Obama asked, "Which passages of scripture should guide our public policy? Should we go with Leviticus, which suggests slavery is OK and that eating shellfish is an abomination? Or we could go with Deuteronomy, which suggests stoning your child if he strays from the faith? Or should we just stick to the Sermon on the Mount?"
Dobson said, "I think he's deliberately distorting the traditional understanding of the Bible to fit his own world view, his own confused theology," adding that Obama is "dragging biblical understanding through the gutter." He went on to say that Obama should not be referencing "antiquated dietary codes and passages from the Old Testament that are no longer relevant to the teachings of the New Testament."
Isn't this typical? It's okay for Dobson and other Christians to distort the Bible to fit their world view; for example calling certain parts "antiquated" and "no longer relevant" while claiming other parts are still completely relevant. I wonder who decides which is which...
In my world view, the entire book is antiquated and irrelevant!
I especially like the phrase "traditional understanding of the Bible." I guess that means don't use your own mind (or reason) to figure out what it says or means. Just ask Uncle Jimmy. He'll set you straight on the "real" meaning. After all, we're all too stupid to figure out what the sky-daddy was talking about. Right?
humor Atheist Bible Christian Comics religion Evangelical
Posts in this section were archived prior to February 2010. For more recent posts, go to the HOME PAGE.
- ► 2009 (335)
- Edinburgh University Resurrection Debate
- His eye is on the sparrow
- God is your ATM, Prayer is your PIN
- The True Christian
- Jesus shows up in another ultrasound
- God loves America best
- That was the Old Testament...
- Christian charity raises money for non-gay famine ...
- Sexual symbols in religion
- The Cambridge Companion to Atheism - Michael Marti...
- One less god
- What is Atheism?
- Grow up, already!
- Oh sinner do not stray from the straight and narro...
- Is God a Delusion?
- A tribute to George Carlin
- Why I Deny the Virgin Birth of Jesus
- Restoration, renewal, and big bucks
- Deity Comparison Test
- Debunking Christian Apologetics: Fanaticism "Proof...
- Does a belief in God give us morality?
- Believing the Unbelievable: The Clash Between Fait...
- If God hates homosexuals, then...
- How to be a Bible Apologist
- Messed-Up Bible Stories: Adam and Eve
- RELIGION vs. SCIENCE -- a familiar story?
- Who wrote the Bible?
- ▼ June (27)
- ► 2007 (407)
- ► 2006 (173)
- ► 2005 (102)
- ► 2004 (67)
- ► 2003 (108)