Posts in this section were archived prior to February 2010. For more recent posts, go to the HOME PAGE.
- And these signs shall follow them that believe…
- Godless? Come Out and Mess with a Stereotype or T...
- Dialogue with a school friend
- Harvest the power of religion...
- For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth and scourge...
- It's not a religion -- it's a relationship
- Deconstructing Bible stories
- A logic based on fantasy
- Lost or Found?
- Spare the rod, spoil the child...
- Steps to Recovery
- Darwin and Lincoln: Two Peas in a Pod
- Rules are Rules
- RECOVERY RETREATS COMING SOON
- Out of the Dark
- Jay & Silent Bob Drub Rap and Bible Chat
- My open campaign against the Christian Right
- Why I Am An Atheist
- Agnostic Goddess Seeks Talking Snake for Fun and C...
- The next bus slogan campaign?
- The Morality of Eight Babies or, Sometimes, Even O...
- My mum only lied to me about one thing...
- Have I got a Deal for you!
- ▼ February (23)
- ► 2008 (306)
- ► 2007 (407)
- ► 2006 (173)
- ► 2005 (102)
- ► 2004 (67)
- ► 2003 (108)
2/16/2009 View Comments
Spare the rod, spoil the child...
“Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.”
“If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them: Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.”
2 Kings 2:23-24
23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. “Go on up, you baldhead!” they said. “Go on up, you baldhead!” 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths.
For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death.
And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive? ... Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.
He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.--
Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.
Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.
The eye that mocketh at his father, and despiseth to obey his mother, the ravens of the valley shall pick it out, and the young eagles shall eat it.
God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.
This is only a taste of what can be found in the Christian holy book. Add your Bible verses to the list...