When Christians say things like, "Jesus loves you" or "God has a plan for your life" they assume people appreciate it. To me, it's like saying, "The Easter Bunny loves you." Well, actually, it's worse than that. If someone over the age of ten said that, I would just assume it was a joke.
But when someone tells me Jesus loves me, it's insulting! Why would I care if some mythical figure (or possibly an actual historic human) loves me? For that matter, why would I care if any random person alive or dead loves me? It's like they assume I'm so lonely, hopeless, and unhappy that I would find comfort in knowing that their invisible friend cares about me.
And when they say that their God has a plan for my life, that's even worse! What makes them think I want to live my life by anyone's plan but my own? God's plan for them obviously includes standing on the street corner or knocking on doors telling people about it. That doesn't sound like a great plan to me. I think I'll just stick with my own.
If someone shows up at church and wants to know what God and Jesus think of them, by all means, they should be told. But when I'm sitting in my living room or walking around town, I don't want to hear it. And I think many people (religious and non-religious alike) would agree.
For for comics and commentary, please visit ByTheBookComics.
Posts in this section were archived prior to February 2010. For more recent posts, go to the HOME PAGE.
- Raise a Child in the Way She Should Go… (Proverbs...
- Healing on Demand
- Christian Belief Through the Lens of Cognitive Sci...
- Why I Moved to Linux
- It is understandable
- The Inane World of Christian Denominations
- Make the Petitioners Explain
- Who Has The Moral High Ground ?
- Dangers of Savior Worship
- Salvation is NOT a free gift
- Human Sacrifice
- Churches have too much money
- Resolving Anger & Depression
- Christian Belief as a Natural Phenomenon: A Six-P...
- What's love got to do with it?
- So, what is a cult?
- Atheists: Be Good for Goodness Sake
- Spreading the "Good News"
- Lying For Jesus
- Childhood Experience With Atheism, or Who Says Ath...
- Bibles in Afghanistan: A Tribute to the Power of B...
- Atheism - Religion - Dogma
- Recovery retreats coming up end of May and July
- Church Attendance and Torture Approval - What's th...
- God's Just Love for his Creation
- What a Fool Believes
- Does prayer work to heal the sick?
- ▼ May (28)
- ► 2008 (306)
- ► 2007 (407)
- ► 2006 (173)
- ► 2005 (102)
- ► 2004 (67)
- ► 2003 (108)