By Eris D
I have been lurking on this site for a long time. Sometimes I comment on the occasional testimonial.
I just want to say that I am constantly amazed at the warped views that the majority of people in America have about atheists. First, many think that we have no morals because we do not believe that the Bible is the infallible word of God and/or we don't believe in a god. Consequently, they think they make negative assumptions about our integrity and honesty in many ways.
Unfortunately, I live in a part of the country where the majority of the people strongly believe in a mythical god and my husband and I hear those code words ''Have a BLESSED Day" almost every day. We know that we must conceal our atheism in order to keep ourselves and our kids safe against retribution from those who will do ANYTHING in the name of their mythical god(s), like defacing our property, harrassing our kids or getting us fired from our jobs.
Last year I pulled up to the drive-thru of my local credit union to check my balance. I had just paid a huge bill, and my funds were running low and I was worried about paying the bills on time that month.
When I drove up to the Pneumatic tube station, I pulled out the tube in order to put in my identification so the teller could give me my balance. Guess what I found in the tube? A roll of $20 bills that totaled over $800.00. I didn't even give it a second thought and immediately closed up the tube and sent the money back to the teller. When she received it she asked me what I wanted to do with it and I told her that it wasn't mine. She was shocked that I had returned it and promptly did a little detective work to find the rightful owner. She said the owner had driven up earlier with a van full of kids and she was busy talking on a cell phone and not paying attention. Then she thanked me for my honesty and took care of our transaction.
A couple of days later I relayed the story to some of my family members who are Christians. They expressed utter shock and amazement at my actions! They asked me why I didn't just pocket the money and leave!!!! I am NOT kidding! Some said they would have had a hard time deciding what to do.
That is when I proudly stood up and proclaimed that I am an atheist therefore I take responsibility for my own actions, and I don't look for some mythical god to forgive my sins, and I don't blame them my shortcomings on some mythical devil! I don't have a problem with being honest. I am an atheist!
That shut em up!
FYI -- In my life, I have been ripped-off, raped, assaulted and battered by so-called Christians. I have never been victimized or scammed by an Atheist.
Consequently, when someone is doing some kind of work for me or selling me something, if they start proclaiming their faith, I usually either disassociate with them or watch them very closely. I know they are not all bad, but I have observed that the louder a person proclaims their faith and belief in god, the more problems they have with honesty.
To monitor comments posted to this topic, use .
Posts in this section were archived prior to February 2010. For more recent posts, go to the HOME PAGE.
- ► 2009 (335)
- ► 2008 (306)
- Bookstores have Noticed Atheists
- You think with God you've found peace?
- Atheist vs. Christian morality
- The real truth about the Roman Catholic Church
- Christians don't really think for themselves, desp...
- Over the Hedges
- Times-Harris Poll: 1/4th of Us Could Be Atheists o...
- Chess and the Problem of Evil
- Hell and the Narrow Road -- A Letter to Kara
- Finding a Way Forward
- Can a god exist?
- A Lack of Basic Understanding
- Life and Religion
- Life and rRligion
- Deliver us from evil
- Observations about Christianity
- You're bloody lucky to be alive
- If the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed
- Atheist finds god! (But it's not what you think)
- Conversation between an atheist and a theist
- TAMMY FAYE GETS EVEN
- Christian Crazy Thinking
- THE LORD'S PRAYER LAID BARE
- The Kingdom of God and Confronting Our Beliefs
- Supernatural or Explainable?
- Why I Believe Anti-Evangelism Is Wrong
- An Evolution-Related Challenge
- The Loftus v. Wood Debate on the Problem of Evil i...
- Atheist ‘Metaphysics’ and Religious Equivocation
- Boggles the Mind
- I'm an agnostic because I'm lazy
- How Can Pastors Believe?
- Christianity and Atheism: A Conversation
- Proof that god is nonexistant: a short version
- Public Atheism: A Question of Image or Discriminat...
- Is there free will in Christianity?
- How to Make the "Neo-Atheist Cabal" Move On
- ▼ July (37)
- ► 2006 (173)
- ► 2005 (102)
- ► 2004 (67)
- ► 2003 (108)